Friday, November 06, 2015

Can't Believe It's Friday

The hounds woke up to cooler temps, slept in late and when they went outside they didn't stay out long. By the time I brought my cup of coffee, the camera with one lens attached and my 18-55mm lens  outside ... Heidi had returned to the door to go back inside. She wasn't out more than a minute.

It all started at 10:03am when Stella stepped over to my desk and started whining. I have figured out that means one of two things ... she has to go outside to pee or she wants to eat. Of course since feeding time for the hounds is between noon and 1pm, the 10:03am was just a bit early to eat.

When I told her it was too early to eat, she starting howling. It was confirmed by the howl she wanted to eat. That brought Sadie into the room whining, Winston started barking and Heidi sprinting from the bedroom to her food dish because it was time for food. She always wakes up when food is involved although you can't tell it by her weight.

I gave in, just like always. I decided at least today and maybe from now on that I will start feeding them twice per day and split the quantity of food in half. For all the readers out there with dogs of any breed and size ... do you feed yours once per day or twice per day?

Sadie and Winston enjoyed some grass and a little dirt eating before I stopped them. 


Stella took out to the field to dump her tanks. On her return trip she was heading in a direction away from the house toward the neighbors so I yelled her name. She stopped, looked up and came running.





What other breed can run and have their ears not only go vertical but also lay over the top of each other in the same run??  LOL

The leaves are back!!!  I may have spoke too soon about raking leaves for the last time. I guess the tall sycamore tree had more leaves left on the tree than I had seen. I will wait until ALL the leaves are off the trees before I rake again. I'll either rake or vacuum them next time.

I know I'll have to fight Friday traffic on 25 miles of two lane highway but Heidi needs food and the kind she eats is 25 miles away. I could use Chewy.com and have that same food delivered for the same price but each place has a "buy 10 bags get 1 free". I am closer to those 10 bags at the store 25 miles away, rather than starting a new account on chewy.com.

Do you like the multiple posts per day or just a daily summary post?

Suns out, the hounds are asleep and fed. It's not even noon yet. Another fine day here in the tropics.

8 comments:

  1. Patches, #43 American Stafordshire, get breakfast after her morning walk - usually. Then she get her second meal around 6:00 pm - maybe later if I'm not paying attention. She never barks for food. She may come to my chair and nudge me with her nose but even that is not very often. What that usually means is that she needs some attention.

    Postings once a day, twice a day? It is your blog, post when and often as the mood strikes you. I write mine throughout the 24 hours from the last posting. As I think of something or read something that I want to copy and include I type it up in OpenOffice (or WordPad) then post. Rinse and repeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. I'll give the twice per day feeding a try.

      Delete
  2. Luci and Carl eat twice a day, when I get up and let them out in the morning, usually 7-9am then again at 4pm... and when the time changes in the Fall that is an issue!! They think at 3p it is time.... I usually give in too, but try to stay them for a bit, n then that eventually it gets to the 4p time... they do know the time tho!! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing isn't it they know when it's time to eat even with the time change twice per year.

      Delete
  3. No dogs here, but twice a day feeding sounds good. 24 hours between meals seems kind of long especially if the dogs are pretty lean already. On the postings, whatever works for you is best. I've read some blogs with multiple postings during the day and enjoy them.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think until now, I've fed my hounds once per day for the last 28 years. I think that was because I was working and would not be around to let them out if I fed them in the morning before going to work. I would then feed them when I got home from work. Since I have time now, I like the twice per day idea. Although right now at this moment, once again Stella does not agree. She wants food 3x per day. LOL

      Delete
  4. If the dogs are howling, I would guess they are hungry. They are not fat and since a few of them run and get lots of exercise, no wonder they are hungry. Once every 24 hours is too long to go for dogs and for humans! Love the blog and all you share. Makes us appreciate our "retire" status more and now I do not feel so guilty enjoying our freedom to live easier. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out today her howling was not food related. That was the good news. I'll blog about it later today. 24 hours definitely for humans, but with different food and different digestive systems I don't think you can compare dogs and humans when it comes to hunger.

      Retirement is definitely nice. I've had to make some spending adjustments but I did that the year before I retired. I miss the money I made working but not as much as the freedom I have now.

      Thanks for reading the blog and I'm happy to hear you enjoy it. At times I feel what I write about is pretty mundane and totally different than what I thought I'd be writing about when the blog started in October 2011.

      Delete