Monday, January 11, 2016

Blogger Policy Change Effective Today

I don't know how I missed this announcement from Google Blogger, but it was on my blogger dashboard this morning. I was going to state the policy change in my own words but thought instead of just copy and pasting the notice. In a nutshell, for some readers it might change the way they follow my blog and other blogs.

Please read the statement below:





**********************************
In 2011, we announced the retirement of Google Friend Connect for all non-Blogger sites. We made an exception for Blogger to give readers an easy way to follow blogs using a variety of accounts. Yet over time, we’ve seen that most people sign into Friend Connect with a Google Account. So, in an effort to streamline, in the next few weeks we’ll be making some changes that will eventually require readers to have a Google Account to sign into Friend Connect and follow blogs.

As part of this plan, starting the week of January 11, we’ll remove the ability for people with Twitter, Yahoo, Orkut or other OpenId providers to sign in to Google Friend Connect and follow blogs. At the same time, we’ll remove non-Google Account profiles so you may see a decrease in your blog follower count.

We encourage you to tell affected readers (perhaps via a blog post), that if they use a non-Google Account to follow your blog, they need to sign up for a Google Account, and re-follow your blog. With a Google Account, they’ll get blogs added to their Reading List, making it easier for them to see the latest posts and activity of the blogs they follow.

We know how important followers are to all bloggers, but we believe this change will improve the experience for both you and your readers.

Posted by Michael Goddard, Software Engineer

**************************************
Feel free to email me if you have questions or need help making adjustments. I know I am a little confused by what they are saying. Basically all the big companies want control of their sites and traffic.

Sad.

9 comments:

  1. Google now wants to charge me for the ability to upload my photos, as they say I've reached my limit. Along with the above, just more reasons to switch to Wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the videos you have on your blog is putting you over the data limit? I thought when I sat up this blog and even when downloading photos into the blog ... it telling me I had "unlimited" storage in their blogger picasa program. I don't use Picasa for editing but I do know all the photos uploaded into a blogger blog are stored there.

      I guess it really might be time to check out Wordpress. I believe with my godaddy domain that they host either a blog through their system or will host a blog on Wordpress.

      Delete
    2. My videos are hosted on Youtube, I just post the links on my blog, so they shouldn't matter. I like some of the new Wordpress templates a lot.

      Delete
  2. I don't know what they are saying.."that will eventually require readers to have a Google Account to sign into Friend Connect and follow blogs".

    I guess it has something to do with being a "Follower". I have never been one of those although I do follow your blog and I do have a Google Account. The only reason I have one was to get access to their Google Map API where I have a love hate relationship. I think there are Blogger blogs that require a Google Account to post Comments, maybe all of them. But signing into Friends Connect, what ever that might be, is not something I'll be doing for the same reason I do not do Facebook or any of the other social network sites - I'm not very social!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I read it, it sounds like they are just talking about readers that want to join Friends Connect. If some of those people that joined in the past, they their Friends Connect profile will be deleted starting this week. I have a lot more people that show up to read daily than the 58 in the Friends Connect ... so maybe it's all a mute issue?

      Delete
  3. Me thinks Google is moving this direction to help the Admin of this Country follow people better. Word press will likely see an increase of sites in the coming weeks. Sad for those who want to follow blogs but don't want Google following them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a very valid point, one that I did not think about. I have been looking at Wordpress free sites and might start a new blog there...same as this blog but just too much work to import everything fro Blogger to Wordpress.

      Delete
  4. If and when I can't get onto your blog I will email you. I have no idea what you meant in your copy/paste....way above my pay grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just saying I decided to copy and paste the google notice into the blog post between the centered asterisk.

      Delete