Sunday, January 10, 2016

First Snow Of This Winter

I see that Blogger is having issues again. I posted my last blog post on Saturday afternoon January 9. I see after I made an edit to Saturday's post this morning, Blogger changed the date of my Saturday's blog post to today January 10. I know it's nothing ... really ... but stuff like that drives me crazy.

Woke up in the middle of the night, but it wasn't Winston's whine I heard. It was a snow plow barreling down the highway with me hearing howling winds up here on the hill after that snow plow passed the house. So I was pretty sure the local weatherman was a few days off with his prediction the other day of snow showing up in the middle of this week. Even wunderground.com, my weather channel, predicted snow Wednesday.

So as I opened the door at 5:21am to let the hounds outside I saw my Mini Cooper S covered in wind blown snow. A few friends have suggested to me over the years living here, to convert my carport into a garage, it would prevent wind blown snow settling on my vehicles. I'm "old school". I like that the house still has the original but painted aluminum siding. I like that all the cabinets and counter tops, along with the stove that almost caught fire a few weeks ago ... are the original 1975 feature.

What has kept me from changing that to a garage is a different reason besides being the original design. It would block the view I have out the large window when I sit at my kitchen table either eating or being on my laptop.  I remember in 1979 my great aunt and I sat there drinking iced tea as I took a break in the summer sun while painting the overhangs. I never knew I would end up living in this house back in 1979. I am not from the area but my parents, grandparents were.

So Stella, Sadie and Heidi sprinted out into the snow at 5:25am. Of course Heidi stayed under the overhang and wasn't outside more than 30 seconds. The only reason Stella and Sadie came back to the door so fast to be let in after their trip outside ... Stella thinks it's time for breakfast.

It wasn't. Not at 5:30am. We all caught a few hours of sleep before we were up for the day. As you can tell, as it probably does with  your dogs, snow seems to give them more energy. Stella and Sadie played as soon as they stepped onto the snow covered driveway.








Just as fast as they started ... they stopped playing and sprinted a few laps around the field. I would have had more photos of that but my trusty Nikon D3100 that I told you about a few days ago ... was back to not working for a short time.






Just a side note:  At 10:43am Stella is whining beside my desk chair wanting lunch. Not going to happen. The photo below is what I call her Phase II of begging to be fed lunch. Phase I is the whining beside my desk chair and Phase III is when she is howling. Phase II .... she lays her ears back and looks as pretty as possible ... "look at me, I need to be fed".


She tried to enlist Sadie to help ... but Sadie doesn't care

 Heidi comes out in 15° weather - Believe me, she wasn't outside long  :)


Between the two NFL games, ALL the hounds had their nails cut. Only Sadie needed bribing but all of them got a peanut butter bone after they were finished.

Last time I looked the snow was flying horizontal outside ... so the hounds and I spent the rest of the afternoon hibernating inside.

That's it from the "tropics" from Southern Indiana for today.

11 comments:

  1. I love the wide open country around your house. Nice. Great photos of the hounds playing. What characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely characters. I like the surrounding area but it would be nice if that highway in front of me, located in a 'passing zone' would be only a single lane dirt road to town like it was before WWII when my dad lived out here as a kid.

      Delete
  2. Love your pups. Funny how they just "speak" to you. I don't want to hear about SNOW until my trailer is home and parked in my driveway!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how people and dogs communicate. I've read in books where hounds cannot see very well, yet when I do nothing but hold up the retractable dog leash for the bloodhounds to see 100' away, they sprint to me because they know they are going for a walk. Or when I toss the dog nail clippers on the floor and Sadie takes off to hide in the bedroom, not coming out for hours. It's been a very mild winter this year in the "tropics" of Southern Indiana.

      Delete
  3. So the hounds finally got the snow they've been wishing for, eh? Hope that doesn't make it hard for you, now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right in that 'they' have been wishing for snow. I don't mind it, I just don't like it when the temps drop to the low teens or single digits. It's 9° this morning at 8am.

      Delete
  4. Excuse me.....Heidi was outside at 5:25AM....!! Such a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is mind boggling to say the least. It's her daily routine now and she will go outside most of the time during the days now when the others do. The change was recent and not sure why. I am hoping it's a sign that she is feeling better and that 2016 will be a great year for her unlike 2015.

      Delete
  5. Phase II .... she lays her ears back and looks as pretty as possible ... "look at me, I need to be fed".

    As pretty as possible - HA

    Could not help laughing after reading that and then looking at the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Steve! We noticed this week that Sharon had the same problem when updating one of her sites...the publication dates changed. After playing around with it for awhile, she noticed that if she went back to the post, and "scheduled" the publication date (now past) back to the original publication date, that it fixed the problem. Personally, I have used all forms of Wordpress, Blogger, and several other site builders over the past sixteen years, and have found that the free (dot com) version of Wordpress is practically worthless, whether you are monetizing it or not. I hope you've read the fine print in the user agreement. I won't even waste my time "attempting" to use it anymore because it has so any limitations. The uploaded version (at dot org) is good, but has so many options a person doesn't even know which one to use, and some of the third party plug-ins don't even work right. Also, you have to log in to keep up with their constant updates...sometimes several per day. Despite a rare glitch like you described with the dates, Blogger is still the most dependable, trouble free platform available, and all you have to do is Google any problem you do find as a query to the search engine, and someone has an easy fix for it. The only thing Blogger won't do is allow you to upload files (like .pdf's) so that other people can download them, but there are plenty of free file sharing sites available that you can direct them to for that. I am in the process of eliminating all my paid domains when they expire, and going strictly with Blogger. It does everything I need it to do, for marketing or otherwise. But good luck with your choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John ... thanks for the reply. That is only one reason that I am keeping this blog in tact, there might be a point in time I import all my new posts from WP and come back. I still like the design I have here. I like being able to go back through 4+ years of history with just a couple of clicks. Every platform I have used over my 11 years in having some short of blog or website, all have their problems ... some small, some large.

      Before making the move I searched on Google for opinions on which was better, should I even move. It was like anything else, some said Blogger for what I wanted to do, others said WP. Google search and YouTube has been my best friend over 20 years on the internet, because they self taught me on what to do and how to fix things. I still don't know everything but they do. I even did repair on my parked RV from looking and reading on YouTube or Google Search.

      I'll let WP run it's course and see what happens. If there comes a point in time that it becomes a PIA to me, then it will not take long to move my blog back to this one on Blogger. I don't know what the future is of the individual hound blogs, those might just be a 'mid winter' thing. Who knows I might get tired of paying for domains, like I did around 2010 and get rid of all of them and bring the blogs back to a free platform.

      A few things I do like with the change to WP, I love the way WP handles my photos with a much sharper, clearer image. It's just not my old eyes, but other readers have agreed with me. I like the 4 templates (themes) I have found on WP, I like the dashboard better.

      So, I'll see what happens but I am always open to changing back to this blog ... who knows I may need something to do some week. I do know all this work on the move to WP came at a time where I needed something to distract my mind from what had taken place this past month. It did that. It was a big help to me mentally.

      Thanks for stopping by and I enjoyed your comment.

      Delete