Sunday, April 10, 2016

Hounds Are Slow This Morning

As you can tell from this mornings photos, the world has stopped here in 'the tropics'. The temps are up into the mid 50's, its not raining so that is good.

Maybe it's the overcast skies that laid out the energy levels for today???  I do know one thing and it's just not me but Sadie and Stella also ... today has turned into a slow-motion movie. They are taking the morning off so far ... but I know there is plenty of time left today to rally and make something of ourselves. What that might be is hard to imagine as I have my 2nd cup of coffee 3+ hours later than normal.


The first trip out every morning this is what they do ... not all they do .. but you understand that somethings they do are really not for public viewing. So these are the before and after shots. I have to wonder though, what is it that makes them so interested with their noses to the ground?






Is there really that much animal traffic at night in the field while we sleep that gives them new scents to smell? Or is it just that one cat that I saw months ago sprinting in front of me while I stood outside at 1:30am.

I think as you can see, they are not really energized this morning nor have I been. I've been back to that Apple site looking at comparisons between the new iPhone 5se and the older 6s. Yes ... I am considering going back to an iPhone for the camera, the GPS, a library of "notes" that substitute for my memory and a few other features. Notice I said nothing about phone calls ... rarely get them since the world is texting now.

We will get in a walk or two today but it's nearing their lunch time ... I haven't seen nor heard any begging for lunch so that confirms this day is definitely off the earth's axis.

Everyday cannot be exciting here in 'the tropics' of Southern Indiana.

7 comments:

  1. I have a feeling maybe the hounds are smelling those deer who move about at night and normally follow obvious trails.

    65° and balmy here in Kansas City. Royals Forever! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just hard to imagine there is that much deer traffic in those areas but at times I have seen up to 15 standing at the bush line about 1/2 way down to the corner. I've never been able to catch them on camera because they smell the hounds and take off.

      I've always liked the Royals, the same cannot be said for that team on the eastern side of your state. They are a small market team, stuck with their manager and their plan when things were not going good.

      Delete
  2. Dogs do not see very well (check out this link: http://www.sciencealert.com/how-dogs-see-the-world-compared-to-humans) so they use their nose. They sniff and resniff a location to find out what has been there and they sniff the air to tell the future: to discover what will be here or where they will go next. Dogs have a different sense of “now.” Unlike our eyes, which take in what is visible and apparent at this moment, their noses can sense the past — who and what was here and what’s decaying underneath — and the future of a place — what’s coming, just upwind. Dogs are microprocessors and their noses feed their data bases.

    Bloodhounds are more nose than most dogs but Patches has her nose to the ground 90% of the time when we are on our walks. She may walk within 6' of a rabbit and not see it unless it moves but she will smell where the rabbit has been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great info about the nose of a dog. I am also happy to know there are other dogs that can be with 6' of a rabbit and not see it because they are too busy with what their nose is telling them.

      Delete
    2. After reading the link you included plus a couple of other links inside that page, it's amazing the hounds can "see" me when I say nothing but do a hand signal from far away. I guess I am going to have to stop saying "when they SAW ... " in my posts. LOL

      Delete
    3. Patches will respond to hand signals up to about 100' anything farther than that requires the hand signal with motion. I think she 'sees' and responds to the motion at that distance rather than the hand signal. I have had her looking for me, and 'see' me, from as far away as 1/4 mile and respond to the hand motion whereas she continued looking for me while I was standing still.

      Delete
    4. "Motion" is the key then for them to see us and our hand signals. With those views on the link you included it was hard to imagine that either hound could see me when they glance up from their field find and look my direction as if to tell where I am.

      Delete