Monday, April 25, 2016

Sadie's Back To Normal

If I am writing this post now, it's pretty obvious the hounds and I have not hit the road yet to hunt down some tick prevention weapons as planned. The ticks are the worse I've ever seen in the 19 years I've lived here next to this field.

Sadie is just a firm stool away from being back to normal. Everything else was a was a good for her this morning. Great appetite, she was doing her normal 'hopping' in excitement before being fed ... but she did take her time for the 2nd day in a row when eating. I'll have to check the inside of her mouth and see if there is something there that is the cause for her decreased eating speed.

Heidi had 3 doses of the Wounded Warrior Ointment yesterday but I left it off right before she when to bed last night. She curls up when she sleeps and all of that irritated skin is not exposed to the air. First thing this morning her skin looked good, natural color, no redness, no chewed spots. Two hours later, a couple of chewed spots and all of her skin that she hides when sleeping, was red and irritated.

Consequently she turned down the offer to go on a walk this morning, even with my suggested leash tug. When the bloodhounds didn't move away from the house when we went outside I knew they were letting me know it was time for the walk, no matter how wet the field was. It was wet. With Sadie's stare down, I knew she was feeling good again.


Both of them went into their immediate tracking mode. I could tell by the way Sadie had her tail curled upward and her head buried in the ground while she walked that she was feeling normal again. Oh, she did wake me up to go outside at 3:30am again, but she was back in 5 minutes.



Stella found something so interesting during the first part of the walk that Sadie and I had made the first right turn before Stella even showed up. I turned around at the right time to catch her running to catch up with us.




The focus of the walk for both of them this morning was tracking scents, more than running. That is Stella with her head buried in the gully. Then Sadie found something that led her in all kinds of different directions. It was good to see her back to her normal self.






They both made it back home safe and sound, with little excitement but a walk they always enjoy. Now we are off for some generic vet recommended tablets for Sadie's diarrhea and some tick prevention.


Before making the 25 mile trip to PetSmart for the Seresto Collars, I called the 3 local vets ... all the vets carry that collar and all are sold out of that collar. It must be good stuff. 2 of the 3 vets recommended I use NexGard.

Of coarse I had to see the differences for myself so that led me to the internet to read product labels, customer reviews, and where it's in stock. It took hours. After all of that I am still not sure which direction to go. About the time I chose, there pops up a negative review that makes me 2nd guess my decision.

Otherwise ... it's perfect weather in 'the tropics' of Southern Indiana today.

9 comments:

  1. Those ticks must be really bad. So bad I see you took down your tick counter! ;)

    I will be anxious to see what you decide to try to fight the ticks, and your success with whichever it is. I don’t seem to have a lot of problems with ticks maybe because my grass is short and my dogs don’t have any shrubs or bushes to snoop around in. I am using Comfortis for the fleas, but need another option if we start having tick problems. I never had good luck with the liquids either because it always seemed like I got more on their hair than on their skin.

    Hope Sadie continues to feel better. Maybe it was something she ‘ate’ out in the field?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did remove the tick counter, but only to a spreadsheet. The counts were getting ugly and hard to believe. Luckily I don't have a flea problem. I have sprayed my yard in past years with the insect tick removal but being next to the hay field it didn't do much. The amount of ticks then did not decrease.

      You are right about the liquids, that is just one reason I stopped. After this post I loaded the hounds up and we took off for our vet 11 miles away. They were sold out of the Seresto Collars but the one lady at the desk that I trust recommended NexGard. So I'll try that and see how it works this month and then decide next month whether to try the Seresto.

      It has to be something she ate in the field but she has not been doing that nearly as much anymore. I would assume if my kibble is bad, near the end of the bag kept in a container made for dog kibble, that Stella was shows some signs of being sick. I wish during times like this that dogs could talk.

      Delete
  2. Steve, I have used NexGard for Jagger the last two seasons as we travel. It doesn't seem to bother his stomach and he has a sensitive one. I have never found a flea or tick on him. I'm sceptical about using chemicals, but several had recommended NexGard and so far it's better than him getting another disease or for that matter passing it on to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary ... that is great to know about Nexgard. I've never liked using chemicals on pets either and rarely do on the yard because of them. This year it's been so bad that I decided using chemicals on them to keep the ticks away and prevent any other diseases was worth it. I hope to see the tick count on each of the hounds go down.

      Delete
  3. In my ex life we were constantly fighting both fleas and huge amounts of ticks. The dogs had access to 30 acres, and half of that was woods with a creek that ran through part of the end of our property. We mostly used the liquid back then because they would rip a flea/tick collar off, sometimes on their first trip out.

    I am going to check with my vet of over 30 years and see what he thinks about NexGard. In the mean time, I will wait and see what your thoughts are since we don’t have any tick problems… yet.

    I think in a way, Sadie was talking and you got what she said because you 'know' her and knew by her actions that things were not normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to hear what your vet says about NexGard and if he would recommend anything else. I've never had luck with collars, what 20 years ago ... because they would lose them or get them off inside the house. I don't care for collars all the time because of my old basset Harry. He about strangled himself while I was at work one day. He even had free range of the house.

      Delete
  4. Gosh, I hadn’t thought about ticks in years until you mentioned them. I know we have them here, but I haven’t seen any which is probably due to not usually walking in high grassy areas... Glad to hear that Sadie seems to be feeling better. Good idea to check her mouth as she could have a sore tooth. I also read that ticks can hide in their ears too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, inside their ears are one of their favorite places, sometimes they are out in the open on the skin folds of their eyelids. I don't know where you live but when I lived in Washington for 10 years I never had ticks. All of our yard was pine needles, some short grass in the front yard.

      Delete
    2. I live in western Washington now, but as a kid I lived on the east coast and was pretty familiar with ticks (especially in my hair...LOL). Our health dept says most of the ticks in WW are in the woods or brushy areas, but there's not a lot of tick-borne illness here apparently.

      Delete