Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Hounds Are Back In Action

I should never go to bed before midnight. I'm a night person and am usually up until 2am most nights. Last night the urge hit me to sleep before midnight which turned out to be one of the most restless nights of sleep I've had in a while.

By 3am I was awake and couldn't get back to sleep because Sadie was snoring so loud over in the corner of the room. She was stretched out half on the floor and her other half on the dog bed. I stepped around her to open the window since the rains had stopped. Of course she wanted to go outside before daybreak, along with Stella. I think they wanted breakfast more than they wanted or needed to pee.

With dark skies and a feel of rain in the air, Sadie was the only hound to venture out into the tall wet grass this morning. Stella wasn't moving and Heidi was already back to sleep on the couch.

What looked bad around 8am looked much better close to 11am. I decided it didn't matter how wet my feet would get, I knew the hounds would like to take a walk.

Even Stella moved through the tall wet grass after refusing to get out of the yard the past couple days due to the wet field.

Very very early in the walk, my shoes were soaked and feet squishing with each step. The ground wasn't much better as it had standing water in some places.

Sadie confirmed she is back to normal with a firm stool today. Also, since the NexGard application I have taken off only one DEAD tick on her shoulder. I have not found any ticks since on Stella. NexGard works!!

I thought Stella was going to run away but she stopped when she heard her name ... just once.

They were excited to get back to their field as you can see ... lots of new stuff to smell.

I caught Stella between bites of grass on this photo.

Heading to her favorite spot in the field ... besides the "no fly zone".

Sadie joined her today, then took off along the edge of the field.

Stella is still trying to find the deer from last week. She knows it has been around, but where is the deer?

I asked Sadie on the way home "where's Heidi"? ... this is the look I got.

She knew Heidi had to be at the house like previous walks but both hounds had forgot that Heidi didn't come outside for this one. She was on the couch as they tried to figure out where she was.

Speaking of Heidi ... it's been a week since we started using the Wounded Warrior Ointment. When comparing the photos from April 21st I don't see much difference. Maybe improvement will not be evident until after two weeks, so I will continue to apply the ointment. It is not hurting her in anyway.

Due to dried ointment residue on her chest and neck, she had a bath before we took the walk this morning. I am going to let her skin get completely dry before I apply the ointment later this afternoon. She still chews a lot, scratches a lot and has a lot of skin falling off during that time. Is that from the ointment working and healing her skin?

I will do a separate post and new photos of her later today.

I decided this morning to make a career decision and change my brand of coffee. Life is rough retired. No meetings are needed to make decisions. The only person to disagree with my decision is that tiny voice in my head. So as I sat down with my first cup of Starbuck's Original Blend coffee, I logged into my Amazon account and searched Tim Horton Coffee.

Al over at The Bayfield Bunch is always talking about grabbing a cup of Tim Horton's at his local drive-thru before he and Pheebs head out for their daily local drive. Over the years of reading Al's blog I finally decided no matter what, I had to taste some Tim Horton's coffee.

My nearest location to buy a cup is too far to drive, is way out of the way and not a direct route. So the shortest trip for me was to order it on Amazon. I am also going to try some Arbuckle Coffee that Ed Frey mentions when he talks about coffee. It will be a nice change to get away from the two coffee companies in Seattle.

The forecast looks like a couple of days with no rain. It should give me time to mow the yard again before I have to bring in a hay baler since it's growing so fast.

Of coarse after their walk, the hounds are satisfied and sleeping soundly until lunch - they have a pretty rough life. I am happy not having them mauled by ticks after the walks now. Let's see how long the NexGard works this month.

It's a good day today in 'the tropics' of Southern Indiana.


  1. My sleep pattern is the opposite. I'm a morning person and it doesn't matter if I stay up to all hours or not, I'm awake just before dawn. I still don't know how my body knows, since I can't see any difference in the light for a while yet, but it always manages to wake me up on the same solar schedule. (Boo for daylight savings time! Stop screwing with natural rhythms!!!)

    1. Until just a few years ago Indiana was one of the few states that didn't change time. Then they did and I ended up living on eastern time and working 12 miles away on central time. What a pisser that was. So many state wide complaints that the state changed all counties back to eastern time except those near Chicago, Louisville, Cincinnati and Evansville. Even growing up I was never a morning person but could stay up late with ease.

  2. When you order the Arbuckle Coffee be sure to get the Original "The Coffee That Won The West". They offer other flavors but stick with the tried and true cowboy blend. When you brew up some don't go light on how much ground coffee you use (I know it is expensive but you are worth it) if you want a good cup of coffee.

    1. Thanks for the kind to buy. I usually make two cups at a time and normally have a ratio of 1tsp for every 6oz of water. I've got to have strong coffee.

  3. Nex Guard was recommended to me in Mexico for the flea problem we had. I bought some but have not used it yet due to all the horrific side effects I read about online. Talking to the vet yesterday she thinks it is a great product and they use it a lot and we also are apparently having a high tick season. Part of my research showed that it is good to change products every few months. What I have used for the past several years has no longer been preventative to fleas. Not sure what I am going to do next.

    1. As of this morning, I have only found 1 dead tick on Sadie since both dogs were given the NexGard. I'm pretty happy with that. I have not seen any side effects nor loose stools. It is probably good to change products at times. In the long run it was cheaper to use the Sereto Collars but I didn't care for the large cash outlay not knowing if they would work.