Wednesday, October 26, 2016

My First Post By Invitation Only


Well it's been an interesting couple of days. If you are able to read this post, you know why I went private and 'by invite only'. Blogger has two different ways to do this ... I have added your email address to a list of approved readers. If you are reading this you already know that Blogger asked you to log in to read the blog.

I am not sure how that works for those that don't blog on blogger and if it matters where your email address is coming from. Let me know if this process causes you problems.

The other way, Blogger tells me I can add your email addresses to a list where you will send the blog to you by email when I post something new. For those that have already signed up to follow by subscription I am not sure if me going private will block your feeds that you have signed up for ... so just in case I will add your email to an email list.

Early in the evening yesterday, after I had gotten back and was sitting here trying to wrap my fingers around someone looking in my house, not invited, and a stranger ... I heard some big slow moving noises on the highway and was pretty sure it was the combines to harvest the soy beans across the highway.


I guessed right and closed all my windows to control the amount of dust that would blow up to my house ... it does because I can see how much on my cars.


I was too confused/pissed over the daily event to go out and take more pictures of their progress but they were loading trucks late into the night ... even for a field that small. By this morning everything was finished ... or I thought. They continued to fill up these trailers multiple times as they returned empty.


The hounds and I slept in late this morning. That means we get up at 8am no matter how late I am up, feed them breakfast and I go back to sleep while they are eating. They all sleep after their breakfast until I get up.

We were on our first walk around noon.



Stella stayed near Sadie and I ... it was different for her.



They really like that right corner of the field but today they picked up a strong scent and headed left.




Sadie has a very strong ability for tracking, better than Stella.



As we made the turn for home, they both take off trotting. They knew where they were going and what was there.



Whatever it is, it must be good.



Stella always looks disappointed when I tell her to "come on".





After lunch we head out for a short trip outside. I had just received a text from my old college friend, who was bringing his canoes to a lake close to my house. It was a chance to go canoeing.

Once again Heidi found one of her favorite spots. That pipe is a capped off water well from 1975. The have been on 'city' water every since. At least that is what I was told.


This is part of my overgrown yard and will be mowed over on Wednesday ... as will all the fallen leaves.


By 2:30 I was down at Lake Greenwood, somewhat of a private lake because it's on government property. Since the lake is closed for the season very little if any traffic and it's only a few to fish or people with a canoe.


A few years ago, this same friend brought up his small sailboat that we took out, but there wasn't enough wind to sail. Yet, it's great for canoeing and great to fish in.


We canoed way past that area to the left ... almost 3 hours total time on the water. A good workout and I'm sure I might feel it by tonight.



Since Ralph has been using a 35mm camera since I met him in 1975, I asked him about my recent photos ... that seemed out of focus to me. He immediately gave me the solution, so from this photo on ... my photos should be much better.


Neither one of use took cameras on the canoes with us, so when we came back and got my canoe out of the water (48lbs), he grabbed his camera to take some across the lake of in area we both agreed would be a great photo. It gave me a chance to try the new setting.



My photo sequence was with him all the way to the boat ramp, but I chose to only go this far.


The setting on my camera had been set to "auto area focus" instead of "single point". What I was getting was a lot of blurred photos of the hounds and a sharp clear photo of the grass they were walking or running on.

Like up above I wanted a clear photo of the combine but it was blurred while my leaves along the fence line were perfect.

A family across the water, where I took photos from in April or May 2015, were the only ones tent camping ... so after we left, that family had the whole lake to themselves as well as all the woods ... plus if you didn't have some sort of government, government contractor or military id card, you would not be able to get inside the huge area similar to a National Forest, let alone find the lake .. one way in, one way out.

I have other news ... quite surprising but something I had been working with off and on. I mentioned some part of it in recent posts. I'll include new photos and a story of how it all transpired in tomorrows post. It will shock most of you, but as usual a lot of analysis was done before the decision was made.

That is if my "invited readers" can see and read this blog.

Really, all is good here in 'the tropics' of southern Indiana ... but a few things to think about and to keep an eye on. I've been here 19 years and have never seen anyone looking in my house.

12 comments:

  1. I like your "water photos" of the lake. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so you were able to get into the blog. Did you log in with a gmail account or something else?

      Delete
    2. It appears to default to my Google account when I log in. That always seems to work o.k. I guess you will still have to wonder about those who don't have a gmail address.

      Delete
    3. That's interesting. I have a few people that have blogs on blogger but use a different email address than gmail. I have some with no blogs but have yahoo accounts and one with no blogs and uses a cable account. I guess I will see how the apples fall to the ground ... at least I know it works for those holding gmail accounts.

      Do you think it's a problem to have to log in all the time to read a blog?

      Delete
    4. Not really a problem for me, but I'm old and retired and have nothing better to do. HAHAHAHA

      Delete
    5. Old and retired is the best career decision I ever made ... lol

      Delete
  2. it worked Steve. I'll try to subscribe by email, as your link on our side bar will likely not work now.. Kelly. ( we just went through Charlotte very busy place )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure that subscribing by email is NOT going to work with this blog being a private blog. To test that feature along with using my Feedly account, I subscribed months ago to see how that worked. When my blog was public, it would take 6-24 hours to send me an email with the new post.

      So far since I have made the blog private, I and others have not received an email with my two new blog posts nor have we seen any updates since Sunday on our Feedly program. One reader tells me that his old bookmark or favorites (windows) for my blog opens up as usual after he accepted the invitation.

      Delete
  3. Well that must have sucked!! Several years ago we had a new 'city' neighbor pay way too much for the property next to us to use as a weekend place. (Jumped all our taxes by doing it too! grrrrr.) Next thing I know I find the dude looking around inside my barn. Said he wanted to see if I'd sell the place to him. . .

    Here in Texas a fence and closed gate is legal notice of no trespassing and trespassers can be dealt with harshly, especially if you think yourself or your property are at risk. After educating him on this little point of law I made him climb back over the fence at the end of a shotgun. (No, I don't get invited to many neighborhood parties. . .) Of course I didn't tell him it was my father's childhood antique, single-barrel break action and there's no way I would ever fire one of today's high-powered shells through it. (My dad used to show us this trick where he would hold shells poking out between his fingers and he could fire, load and fire that thing so fast you'd think it was a semi-auto!)

    Clearly I was able to get into this private room, (I feel so privileged! Especially since I also once turned up in your driveway.) but then again I'm a blogger user so that probably doesn't help let you know what does and doesn't work. The first invitation I got didn't seem to connect to anything but the second one was the trick. I didn't have to log in but then I was already logged in because, well, I'm a blogger user. . . I did notice it used my gmail address which is one I don't actively use.

    As you would hope, I am unable to add this blog to my 'blogs I follow' list so I have bookmarked it instead and was also able to open it up through that link, again without logging in.

    We live in a little, sharply-hilled enclave so there's no row-cropping around us, only small cattle operations, and once the city people started spending money out here the county paved the road, sort of, but since we leave everything open most the time we do seem to get a steady influx of dust anyway, enough to leave a daily coating.

    Damn! All these years I knew there was a reason I should have stayed in long enough for a military retirement! You've talked about Lake Greenwood before and it looks like my kind of place!!

    Now you've got me all atwitter waiting on your surprising news to come. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the feedback I am getting some of the invitations sent last night did not work, others did. After hearing their problems I deleted the first request, then added a new request and every time they have been able to accept the invitation without the blogger bug hitting them.

      An unloaded old shotgun ... hmmmm .... that sounds like a good idea but from how high that lady jumped in the air when I startled her, she may have had a heart attack if I had any kind of rifle pointed at her ... lol

      Just added someone else that couldn't get in from last night's invite but just did now with a new 2nd invitation.

      You might have shown up as a stranger but at least you sent me an email telling me the day you might show up ... I'm beginning to think this lady wanted more than just seeing the hounds, although she was neatly dressed and driving a new SUV.

      Evidently last night when I started this invite process I must have done something wrong to set off a blogger bug ... but hard to figure out when some people had no problems.

      This place is the dustiest house I have ever lived in. If it's not dust it's that yellow ragweed stuff that drives my allergies insane.

      Yes those facilities ID required are very nice feature so close, yet they don't off the free pharmacy or medical. The lake is open year round but just the offices are closed for the winter.

      Delete
  4. So, I finally made it here! I just received two invitations and accepted one so now I am an official reader of Steve’s blog. LOL

    I am still shaking my head over that woman actually coming to your house and looking in your windows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend here locally probably has the correct answer to what she did. She thinks this lady came to see the dogs with plans of asking me thinking I was home. She pulls into the driveway and sees my Z4 and thinks I am home. As she gets out of the car, the hounds start barking and howling, although when I come home after hours away, I don't hear a word because they are sleeping most of the time or standing at the door ... anyway she thinks that once the lady heard the dogs barking and howling she went to the window where she heard them to look at them.

      On the other option ... she thinks the lady was crazy and a possible dog snatcher.

      I told her for someone that took the time it would require to find out exactly where I lived by reading my blog from the start in 2011 ... she would have known I was not home because the FJ was not here.

      Thanks for becoming an 'official reader" ... the hounds like all the attention they can get. LOL

      Delete